According To Wikipedia (Yeah its still the best source to get any definition)
“the online tools and platforms that people use to share opinions, insights, experiences, and perspectives with each other. Social media can take many different forms, including text, images, audio, and video. Popular social mediums include blogs, message boards, podcasts, wikis, and vlogs.”
Social Media is a kind of media that empowers people to create content and give them authority to classify the content as good or bad and let them communicate and met with similar minded people.
Types Of Social Media
- Social Networks like Mybloglog, Myspace etc
- Content Communities or Social Bookmark Sites Example Digg, del.icio.us, Flickr
Social Media Optimization/Social Media Marketing
According to Wikipedia
“Social media optimization (SMO) is a set of methods for generating publicity through social media, online communities and community websites.”
Since the theory behind SMO is same that is to drive visitors. It has eased the life of folks that always asking why there site is not getting visitors.
You don’t need to be a professional to do SMO. Any one can do SMO or SMM for there website or blog by sticking to some basic rules.
The main goal you should consider is to increase your visibility and authority. You just need to show your presence that you exist. Brand yourself. Once you get the voice that influence then marketing or gaining exposure for something is not a big problem for you.
Here are some Do’s and Don’ts when doing Social Media Optimization o rMarketing.
What To Do
- Join different communities.
- Add friends
- Vote and comments on others stories
- In general Participate
- Be Gentle
WHAT NOT TO DO
- Bulk Messaging(Its annoying dudes)
Social Media Optimization/Marketing Benefits
- Provide links for your site
- Provide traffic that has interest in your industry
- Your Community or page at a social media site serve as an alternate page for your site helping you in ranking for your main website
- Increase your site visibility
In coming days I will write about top social media sites individually, giving a research data about each site which helps you to get more from social media. So don’t forget to subscribe the feed or you may miss something valuable.